14 October, 2015

can't

can't see
can't breathe
can't hear
can't feel
anything but the weight
which keeps me crushed here
beneath a burdensome dark marr
endless darkness, never stars
a tremor thumps, pounds in my chest
echoes, bounces, wraps me up
struggle, perilous pursuit
and now apocalyptic truths
hold me down and block my sight
leave a terror deep inside
fists strike out, punches thrown
but still I cannot feel the sun
frozen tundra, ice cold wind
try to trap me deep within
fighting back, attempt escape
break free of this grizzly cage
just when drowning's imminent
the surface breaks, allows a breath
and clawing upward, kicking down
abandon old and tarnished crown
which rested once upon the head
of my shadowed, plague-filled bed
sky light beckons, soft and sweet
easing lingering misery
gently brushes off dank dirt
offers a much needed cure
a respite from the weight of war
a nest! protection from all harm
safe now, bolstered energy
gives the voice power to sing
a way to manifest my dreams
and faced now with this certainty:
I can see
I can breathe
I can hear
I can feel

I can live.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and criticism!