11 July, 2014

The Way I Am

I wish I didn't have to explain
Why I am the way I am.
Isn't it enough to say:
It's natural, it cannot change.
I love who I love
If their hand fits my glove.
I refuse to please society
And its fucked up views on monogamy.
The American Dream is a trap -
It will eventually lead to a collapse.
Devoting your life to just one soul
Takes away chances for personal growth.

The last thing I want is to be stuck in one place,
Unable to move, and unable to chase
The dreams that run throughout my head
Which lead me to have an open bed.
My arms are open, open wide
If I accept your heart, please come inside.

All I want is to share my life
With those who don't see me as a prize.
The last thing I am is a trophy.
If all you see is my beauty,
Please move on, I need much more
Than someone who wants me to stand by the door
And show off the home with a white picket fence -
That life would only make me depressed.

I want to explore the wide open world
I am so much more than a little girl!
I have goals and dreams and so much hope.
The last thing I need is to be held down by rope.
I want to run and be wild - no holding back
By the things society seems to lack.

I'm forgetting all the lies that I have been told
The last thing I have to do is fit a mold.
I'll shout in the face of those who disagree!
I won't give up my chance to be free.
The last thing I want to do is conform
To the bullshit that's called "Societal Norms."

I'll fly way up into the sky,
Let my wings take me high, high, high.
Looking down I'll see the crowds,
Of those who are trapped beneath the clouds.
I'll shout to them to break out of the box.
Come join me where there are no locks
To hold you back and beat you down,
Above the clouds, you cannot drown.
Be who you are and you will see
How wrong society can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and criticism!